Professor of Aerospace Engineering & Engineering Mechanics
PhD (Dr. Ing.), 1945: University of Berlin
Director, Erosion and Turbomachinery Performance Deterioration Laboratory.
Description of facilities at the Turbomachinery Erosion Laboratory (PDF format)
AIAA, ASME and University of Cincinnati Graduate Fellow
Office: 720 Rhodes Hall
Mailing address: P.O. Box 210070, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0070
Phone: (513) 556-3226
Fax: (513) 556-5038
Email: Widen dot Tabakoff at uc dot edu
- Air Breathing Propulsion
- Two-Phase Flows
- Aerodynamic Heatings
- Heat Transfer Turbomachinery Performance Deterioration
- Retention and Erosion
- The most advanced test facilities available for testing high temperature thermal barrier coated surfaces exposed to particulate flows (gas and steam turbines, rockets, boilers and others).
- Three-dimensional LDV system with the corresponding facilities to measure the solid particle restitution coefficients for different impact velocities, materials and particle sizes. This data are necessary for trajectory calculations.
- Murugan, D., Tabakoff, W. and Hamed, A., Flow Measurements and Flow Analysis in the Exit Region of a Radial Turbine, International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Vol. 3, No. 2 (1997), pp. 93-105.
- Tabakoff, W., Gunaraj, A. and Siravari, S., Experimental Investigation of Solid Particles Interactions, 1997 ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting, Paper FED SM-3628, June 23-26, 1997.
- Tabakoff, W., Shanov, V. and Gunaraj, A., Protection of Wespaloy Deterioration Exposed to Environmental Conditions in Turbomachines, Int. Conference on Metallurgical Coatings, April 21-25, 1997, San Diego, Ca. Published in Symposium and will be published in Journal of Surface Coating Technology, 1998.
- Shanov, V. and Tabakoff, W., Erosion Resistance of Coatings for Metal Protection at Elevated Temperatures, Journal of Surface and Coatings Technology, 1997, pp. 86-93.
- Tabakoff, W. and Shanov, V., Advanced Barrier Coatrings for Use in Engine Systems as Protection of Performance Deterioration, Protective Coatings and Thin Films, Synthesis, Characterization and Applications, NATO ASI Series, 3. High Technology-Vol. 21, pp.401-410, eds. Y. Pauleau and P.B. Barna,, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.
- Tabakoff, W., Hamed, A., and Murugan, D.M., Effect of Target Materials on the Particle Restitution Characteristics for Turbomachinery Applications, Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 12, No. 2, March- April 1996, pp. 260-266.
- Tabakoff, W. (Invited Speaker), Overview of Jet Engine Performance Deterioration and Retention, International Congress on Fluid Mechanics and Propulsion Proceedings, Vol. II, pp. 386-394, December 29-31, 1996, Cairo, Egypt.
- Tabakoff, W., Gunaraj, J.A., Hamed, A. and Surah, D., Measurements of Solid Particles Rebound Characteristics on Cylindrical Targets, AIAA Paper 96-2957, 32nd AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, July 1-3, 1996, Lake Buena Vista, FL.
- Tabakoff, W., Shanov, V., Erosion Rate Testing at High Temperature for Turbomachinery Use, Wear, 76-77, 1995, pp. 75-80.
- National Science Contract (NSF), 1997-98.
- Helicopter Compressor Blades Deterioration Exposed to Particulate Flow, U.S. Navy Contract, 1997-98.
- Study of Turbomachinery Deterioration and Retention, Mobil and Texaco Oil Companies, 1996-98.
- Thermal Barrier Coatings Investigation, for General Electric, Rolls Royce, Allied Signal, Chromalloy, Sermatech, Praxair, and others, 1995-98.
- Study of Solid Particles Interactions, Procter and Gamble Company, 1995-96.
- Peer Review Panel Member, NASA Small Business Contracts, "Phase II", 1996-97.
- Reviewer of Proposals for DoD, DOE, NASA, NSF and others.
- Invited Lecturer, in England, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Israel, India, Egypt, and other countries.
- Editor, International Journal of Rotating Turbomachinery, present.
- Serve on Editorial Board for International Journal of Turbo-Jet Engines, present.
- ASME Education Committee Chairman, 1980-83.
- International Gas Turbine, Coal Biomass Committee Chairman, 1989-91.