It is my intent to publish details of my tandem flybaby project here on the web as it proceeds. When the thing is done, tested and flying I intend to submit the details to Contact! magazine. I do this in the spirit of experimentation in the EAA. I have learned from the projects that others have undertaken, and I hope I have incorporated the good and avoided mistakes because of this. I publish so that others may learn from my mistakes and successes.
As of Jan 1998 I have completed the fuselage primary structure, the underfin structure, the tailwheel, the vertical fin and the aft turtledeck. I'm working on the main gear, and the super-structure around the cockpits, but I've returned to full time grad school and progress is glacial in pace.
I hope to have the fuselage on-gear, the tail attached, and the cockpits mostly complete by the Chapter 284 Flyin in Septermber 1998.
I purchased a Lycoming O-290-G engine for my project. It
was an O-290 that I weighed and measured in planning my modifications
to Pete Bower's design, so I'm happy to have found one at a
reasonable cost. I have disassembled it completely. There is rust
on the outside of the cylinders, but the insides look good.
There are some occasional spots of rust (1mm or so) on the connecting
rods and some shallow surface rust on the gears in the accessory
case, but it looks shallow. The crank could use some polish on the
journals, but it isn't out more than a thousandth or three.